Monday, October 5th from 6 – 9 pm at Local 2
215 Golden Gate near Leavenworth 94102/ Civic /Center BART
information, discussion & community! Monday night Forum!!
OccupyForum is an opportunity for open and respectful dialogue
on all sides of these critically important issues!
Report from the Frontlines:
The fight against environmental racism and injustice, climate change,
and gentrification in Bayview Hunters Point
With Marie Harrison and Bradley Angel (Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice)
and Dr. Ray Tompkins, (Clean Air Health Alliance)
Bayview/Hunters Point has historically served as an industrial dumping ground and suffers from a shockingly high degree of environmental degradation. This predominately low to very-low income community suffers from chronic health problems as a direct result of the toxic environment. Within BVHP, residents experience among the highest rates of breast, cervical and prostate cancer, asthma and respiratory illnesses in California.
Environmental Racism refers to the institutional rules, regulations, policies or government and/or corporate decisions that deliberately target certain communities for locally undesirable land uses and lax enforcement of zoning and environmental laws, resulting in communities being disproportionately exposed to toxic and hazardous waste based upon race. Environmental racism is caused by several factors, including intentional neglect, the alleged need for a receptacle for pollutants in urban areas, and a lack of institutional power and low land values of people of color. It is a well-documented fact that communities of color and low-income communities are disproportionately impacted by polluting industries (and very specifically, hazardous waste facilities) and lax regulation of these industries.
Come to OccupyForum to hear updates and discussion about fighting back in the Bayview including:
- Toxic and radioactive contamination and gentrification;
- New information on incorrect government air quality monitoring; and new community monitoring – and October 6th 2 pm meeting of San Francisco Health Commission at 25 Van Ness, Room 338;
- The new Bayview Hunters Point Environmental Justice Task Force and how it is helping residents file pollution complaints and hold industry and government accountable;
- Impacts of climate change and sea level rise;
- Proposal from Greenaction for an action this fall targeting the notorious developer/gentrifier Lennar Corporation, and government, on these issues of pollution, climate change and gentrification.
Time will be allotted for Q&A, discussion and announcements.
Wheelchair accessible, ride shares announced.
Donations to occupy forum to cover costs are encouraged; No one turned away!