We’re hosting a F*ck Your Budget Assembly to respond to the Oakland City Council’s failure to listen to the demands of thousands of people and 100 community, faith, labor organizations, and small businesses who all agree that we need to Defund the Police and Defend Black Lives.
– James Burch of Anti Police-Terror Project’s #DefundOPD Committee
– Sharena Diamond Thomas of PEOPLE’S COMMUNITY MEDICS (Each One, Teach One)
– Jesse Wiltey of the Melanated Social Work Podcast
– Patricia Moran, Children’s Librarian, Oakland
– Sandra Rodriguez, restorative justice practitioner and trainer
You’re invited to participate in a fishbowl conversation on Zoom about how the city can better spend the $300million that we now spend on the police department.
What does a police free world look like? How can we better spend that money? How much of the city budget should go to housing? To violence prevention? To youth programs? To parks? To libraries?
– Introduction to “Participatory Budgeting” and Guest Speakers
– Fishbowl Conversation with Guest Speakers
– Breakout Rooms: Fill out budget survey (https://cooperative4thecommunity.com/oakland-peoples-budget-survey). A CDP Facilitator will be in each breakout room to answer questions about each city departments and to provide tech support if there are any questions about how to use the survey.