How-To: Basic Empathy Circle
In a Circle of 3 to 5 Participants
1. The first person selects who they will speak to;
2. they speak about whatever comes up for them for a set time (typically 3-5 min);
3. the listener reflects back what they are hearing until the speaker feels heard and understood to their satisfaction.
4. Then it is the listener’s turn to select who they will speak to and for that new listener to reflect back what they are hearing.
5. Everyone helps hold the circle process by monitoring & sticking to the steps.
The dialog continues around the circle like this for the time allotted.
* Pause often to give the listener a chance to reflect what they heard.
* When you are done talking and you feel heard, you can say “I’m fully heard” to indicate that you are done with your turn.
* In your own words reflect back the essence of what you hear the speaker saying.
* Refrain from asking questions, judging, analyzing, detaching, diagnosing, advising or sympathizing. When it’s your turn to speak, you can say anything you want.
* You may ask the speaker to pause periodically so you can reflect what you heard.
* Listen and be present to the exchange between the speaker and active listener/reflector. You will soon have a turn to actively listen and speak.
To learn more about empathy skills visit our website at: CultureOfEmpathy.com
More videos: https://www.empathycircle.com/how-to-empathy-circle