On Saturday, June 2, SWers and our allies will be standing up for justice all over the country. Join us at Oscar Grant Plaza in Downtown Oakland, CA to make the voices & needs of our Bay Area communities loud & visible: Sex Worker Justice Now! (Allies wanted & welcome)
We are protesting, rallying & marching with the following goals in mind:
1/ To make more Bay Area residents & local media aware of the systematic violence against sex workers:
• Repercussions of FOSTA/SESTA legislation • Police violence • Anti-trafficking legislation that continuously conflates sex work & “sex trafficking” • How criminalization damages our communities •
2/ Sex worker justice is inherently tied to the justice of transgender, BIPOC, LGBTQ, femme & GNC, undocumented, poor/low-income, drug using communities
3/ Elevate specific SWer community voices
4/ Be visible & celebrate: come together & show each other some serious love during this tough political time
5/ Celebrate the St. James Infirmary’s 19th B-Day!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
noon-1: Gather at Oscar Grant Plaza
1-2: Community Speakers
*More info about Speakers & the March coming soon*
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
• Invite friends an allies: we have power in numbers
• Wear red
• Bring Signs (sign making parties & lists of sign ideas coming soon!)
* Our goal & expectations are that this will be a peaceful & positive gathering for SWer justice. That being said, we are aware that undocumented/on parole/BIPOC/Swers/etc are at a higher risk of police involvement, harassment & violence. We are working on creating safer spaces & systems within the rally and will have more information about this coming soon. Standing up for justice is important, but please prioritize your safety.
• We are looking for folks that have experience with protests to help us lead our crowd.
• Do you have a cool & affordable food truck or ice cream cart? We want to keep our people with snacks, lemonade & popsicles in hand 🙂
• We are wanting to provide the St. James Infirmary Clinic with a lovely B-day bash – seeking cake & red balloon donations
*please msg here or email maxineholloway@protonmail.
Flyer Artwork by The Rambling Hooker instagram.com/