In January 2016, youth at YSA initiated a community organizing campaign to build a Youth Tiny House Village in the San Francisco East Bay. They are working in partnership with non-profit developer Housing Consortium of the East Bay and the local interfaith community to complete a multi-face, community-led Village that is designed by the young people it will benefit. The Village will feature:
– 14 secure 8′ x 10′ Tiny Houses with lofted beds, windows, skylight, storage, electricity, furnishings
– On-site, clean communal bathrooms and showers
– A kitchen yurt for residents to cook weekly communal meals and securely store their own food
– Community gathering space for meetings
– Associated jobs training program through YSA
– Associated social services through YSA
– Restorative justice covenant and community process
– On-site Resident Assistant who lives in the community
In addition to a prototype built in 2017, YSA has built two houses in March and April of 2019 and will be building 12 houses in August and September.
We are actively recruiting members of our community to support us with building one of the 12 remaining houses by exclusively women, trans and gender non conforming folks.
We have six build days and are looking for 12-15 volunteers each day.
The build days are:
August 17 & 18
August 24 & 25
September 7 & 8
While we don’t know the exact time of the build each day, we anticipate building from as early as 8am to as late as 5pm.
To learn more about this project visit: