NOT back posting on a regular basis
– Please post events on Indybay: https://www.indybay.org/calendar/?page_id=12
Thank you to all who are – See Indybay for other events.
ACCESSIBILITY: Please include Accessibility Information on events
At this time am not posting events that are being held indoors, unless the event is made available on the internet.
Some events are being held via the internet – I know this puts a divide with those that “have” and the “have nots”
A. National Guard has been deployed to three hard hit states – March 23, 2020
B. Fears rise as two COVID-19 cases confirmed in besieged Gaza Strip – March 22, 2020
See: Action # 1
C. Cuban doctors head to Italy battle coronavirus – March 21, 2020
D. DOJ Wants to Suspend Certain Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency – March 21, 2020
E. Immigrants Are Now on Hunger Strike in 3 ICE Detention Centers Over Coronavirus Fears – March 20, 2020
F. US Sanctions Undermine Coronavirus Response In Iran and Venezuela – March 20, 2020
See: Event # 11
G. Dianne Feinstein, 3 Senate colleagues sold off stocks before coronavirus crash: reports – March 20, 2020
H. Plans to Stop ‘Civil Disrubances; Amid Coronavirus Pandemic, Something They Haven’t Done in 30 Years – March 20, 2020
I. U.S. Airstrike in Somalia Killed Two Civilians, Relatives Say – March 19, 2020
J. Covid – 19: Digital Divide Leaves Millions in US at a Disadvantage During Pandemic – March 19, 2020
K. Banks Pressure Health Care Firms to Raise Prices on Critical Drugs, Medical Supplies for Coronavirus – March 19, 2020
L. Thousands of Doctors Demand ICE Release Detainees to Stop a COVID-19 Disaster – March 18, 2020
M. More than 7,300 Guardsmen have been mobilized in all states, 3 territories and Washington, DC – March 17, 2020
N. The U.S.wants smartphone location data to fight coronavirus. Privacy advocates are worry – March 16, 2020
1. Demand Israel Protect Palestinians in Gaza — Lift the Blockade and Immediately Make Medical Supplies Accessible to Gaza.
2. Demand Secretary Mnuchin suspend sanctions on Iran for 120 days
3. 7 Steps the City (SF) Must Take Now to Slow the Spread of Covid-19 Among Unhoused People
4. The money for Trump’s border wall should be used to fight coronavirus
5. Support All Families and Workers; Support Our Health; Support Our Economy
6. Protect health care workers
7. No Bail Out for Big Oil
8. Cancel Student Debt to Stimulate the Economy
9. Support Human Rights in Tibet
10. Santa Rita Jail at risk for COVID19 Catastrophe – We Can Prevent It Now
Monday, March 23, Wednesday, March 25
Monday, March 23
1. Monday, 6:00am – 8:30pm, ShutdownKKR Online Day of Action #WetsuwetenStrong
Here’s what you can do to join the KKR communications blockade TODAY and #ShutDownKKR:
- Email KKR today by using our easy messaging tool by clicking here.
- Call KKR by dialing 1-888-593-5407 and following the instructions you hear from us. Need some talking points for your call? No problemo. See below.
- Tweet at @KKR_Co and tell them just how awful they are for ignoring Wet’suwet’en concerns about their rights, the climate, land air and water. Need some tweet inspiration? See below!
Why is this important right now? Well, this fight got even worse last week.
Despite the COVID-19 crisis, TC Energy is still going ahead with Coastal GasLink pipeline construction and sending more workers and federal police officers onto Wet’suwet’en territories, putting communities at even more risk. Billionaire oil and gas CEOs see the COVID-19 crisis as an opportunity to push through whatever they can when the world is looking the other way.
– Over the past five years, TC Energy (formally Trans Canada) has tried to build the Coastal GasLink pipeline on Wet’suwet’en land, defiantly ignoring assertions from the hereditary chiefs of their rights and title and their lack of consent for the project.
– The Coastal GasLink pipeline threatens Wet’suwet’en land, water, air, and people.
– KKR has plans to purchase 65% of the Coastal GasLink pipeline with Alberta Investment Management Corp (AIMCo). It’s is a US-based private equity firm with an atrocious record of putting profits over employees, people, and the environment.
If we #ShutDownKKR, we can stop the financing of the Coastal GasLink Pipeline — but we need to mobilize online together right now.
KKR must be held accountable for ignoring the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, putting Indigenous land and people at risk, endangering Indigenous women by building man camps along the route, and fueling the climate crisis.
2. Monday, 8:00am – 9:00am (PDT); 11:00am – 12Noon (EDT) Covid-19 Has Entered Gaza, Emergency Webinar From the Ground
Watch the emergency webinar live on CODEPINK’s Facebook page or join as a participant via Zoom https://bit.ly/covid19gaza
Or sign up: https://www.codepink.org/covid19gazawebinar
Palestinian officials have announced the first two cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, in the besieged Gaza Strip.
Hear from the people on the ground. Speakers will include Raed Shakshak will talk about public morale and reactions and the latest news coming out of the Ministry of Health In Gaza.
Ariel Gold · firstname.lastname@example.org · 5105995330
Webinar hosts: Codepink, We Are Not Numbers, & U.S. Boat to Gaza
3. Monday, 1:00pm Right to Shelter Emergency Meeting
We will be having an EMERGENCY Zoom meeting on Monday, March 23rd at 1:00 pm. Please email email@example.com for details
|This will be a legal action and activist group that right now will prioritize this emergency but will continue to also work on the things outlined below.As requested by lawyers doing this work and activists who are homeless and/or allies, it will be a Bay-area wide legal network to increase coordination and communication what people are already doing and to take collective, pointed legal action and provide legal advocacy for those organizing when needed.|
We will be having an EMERGENCY Zoom meeting on Monday, March 23rd at 1:00 pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
– Updates, conditions and current responses (brief and to inform rest of discussion)
– Immediate and anticipated needs and priorities for legal advocacy and action
– Next steps around needs and priorities
– Coordination of work and communication
– Resources needed and how to share and coordinate theseHost: National Lawyers Guild
4. Monday, 5:30pm, #MeTooBehindBars Work Group Meeting
We will be having a Zoom meeting on Monday, March 23rd at 5:30 pm. Please email email@example.com for details.
Our agenda will cover:- Updates and current needs given COVID-19
– Background on campaign and related efforts
– Immediate and anticipated needs specific to COVID-19
– Next steps and coordination for this specific response
– Longer term work and priorities
– Resources needed and coordinationWe have a solid group ready to come together to discuss the legal needs for supporting those who are standing up to gender-based violence by prisons and jails against gender non-conforming, queer and transgender people. This will be in support of the MeTooBehindBars campaign and other similar efforts.Host: National Lawyers Guild Tuesday, March 24
5. Tuesday, 3:00pm – 4:00pm, COVID19 Q&A for Community with Dr Rupa Marya
Hey Community !
People have a lot of questions and I’m making myself available to answer what I can to help alleviate confusion and settle some anxieties as we face this challenge together. I’m an associate professor of medicine at UCSF where I work in hospital medicine. I hope to help you understand how to best manage your own health and that of your family during this time.
I will be live streaming from my FB page from 3-4pm PST.
Feel free to leave questions here to start off the discussion and to join in live. It will be recorded and stay on my page. For things I don’t know or aren’t clear to me, I will do my best to research and leave thoughts in the comments thread. Check Rupa’s FB page Tuesday a.m. for infoInfo: https://www.facebook.com/rupamarya?__tn__=%2CdlC.g-R&eid=ARCGAhoc7S_lBTh3xpIhtdjpHllLKqusaQc-bYG70LNs70f7U5S0G7aK2x61ZfBLiOX7XdvF7lwZtOLW&hc_ref=ARQe8JFP3ueR_r3rJMx7xKVQMVinght0wGF0JsBqSNKRgVHCDZKMZ2fYDzZFXWVONT0
6. Tuesday, 6:00pm – 8:00pm, What Are the Root Causes of Forced Migration?
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 472 293 890
To call in:
Conference code: 472293890#
Meeting ID: 472 293 890We want to keep everyone safe but we want to continue the conversations we truly care about. Our speakers will be on video and anyone interested can tune in or call in to listen and engage with the speakers.Panel Discussion:
Ramon Cardona – Centro Latino Cuscatlan
Porfirio Quintana – Asociación de Hondureños de Norte California
Pierre Labossiere – Haiti Action Committee
Adoubou Traore – African Advocacy Network
Lara Kiswani – Arab Resource and Organizing Center and poetry by Rafael Jesús Gonzalez, Poet Laureate, City of BerkeleyCome to recognize the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Saint Oscar Romero, a seminal event which plunged the country of El Salvador into a civil war. A mass movement in the U.S. to protect refugees from the civil war gave rise to sanctuary cities and the precursor program to TPS, the Temporary Protected Status Program. The legacy of destruction, poverty, and ongoing U.S.-imposed neo-liberal economic policies have contributed to Salvadorans being the largest population of TPS holders. The Trump administration is canceling TPS for more than 400,000 people from 13 countries, including nearly 200,000 Salvadorans, 57,000 Hondurans, and 46,000 Haitians. Join us in discussion for a call to action.Hosts: NorCALl TPS Coalition, AROC, SF Living Wage Coalition, Haiti Action Cmte, East Bay Sanctuary Convenant, SF Bay Area C.I.S.P.E.SInfo: https://www.facebook.com/events/2492085604393901/
7. Tuesday, 7:30pm – 8:30pm, 56th New Moon Prayer Gathering – Everywhere
Wherever you are. We are living in powerful and potent times. We invite you to join us in prayer in the evening on Tuesday, March 24th from wherever you are. In California we will be praying in our homes at 7:30 pm. This is an important time for us to join our prayers together to weave compassion, kindness, strength, health and our visions of a future that is in alignment with the natural laws of our Mother Earth.
Many of us have worked for decades to ensure a safe, healthy, survivable future for the next seven generations. We are water protectors, land defenders and sky protectors who have considered ourselves to be an aspect of Mother Earth’s immune response, working hard with love in our hearts to restore health and balance to the system of life. We have made a difference but we have not been successful in restoring balance and stopping the harms.We are now experiencing the result of the system of life so far out of balance that a new life form has emerged, the Covid-19 virus which can be understood as the system of life protecting itself…from us. We have no immunity, no resistance to this new life form that is taking human lives. This virus has forced humanity to stop living the way we were, stop flying, driving, buying things we don’t need, going to movies, restaurants, parties, and all of the other things we do to distract ourselves from what is important, living within the laws of Mother Earth.
We now have time to consider how we are to be in alignment with a world in balance, a system of life that is healthy, clean, safe and restored for all beings. We can utilize this time of sheltering in place to think about how our actions have caused harm and what to do instead of participating in those harms. We can pray and be quiet enough to ask questions and receive answers from our helpers, spirits who are here to help us.”We call upon our sisters and their allies around the world to gather together on each new moon to pray for the sacred system of life, guidance and wisdom.” These words come from the historic Indigenous Women of the Americas – Defending Mother Earth Treaty Compact of 2015, which was signed on the day of the fourth Blood Moon, the Harvest Moon and the total lunar eclipse on Sunday, September 27, 2015 on Lenape Territory in New York City.
Please read the entire Treaty before Tuesday, March 24th:
https://indigenouswomenrising.org/defenders-of-mother-earth-treaty/Hosts: Indigenous Women of the Americas Defending Mother Earth Treaty, Idle No More SF BayInfo: https://www.facebook.com/events/811579489334249/
Wednesday, March 25
8. Wednesday, 12Noon – 1:00pm, Not a Penny Less for Homelessness Rally
SF City Hall
1 Dr. Carleton B. Goodlett Pl
Check with Olivia Glowacki, firstname.lastname@example.org to see if this will be cancelled and for any questions.
Homelessness has gone up 30% in San Francisco. Everyday there’s 1000 people on our single adult shelter wait and yet the measure we passed together in 2018 to double city funding for homelessness is held up in court. This year, the City is re-working the Gross Receipt Tax and through this restructure which will go on the ballot in November, Prop C funding becomes vulnerable and exposed to opponents who may wish to supplant the money for other causes or not honor the $300 million revenue and spending plan as laid out in the initiative.
Join us on the steps of City Hall as we DEMAND NO CUTS to Our City Our Home. Honor the will of the voters and NOT A PENNY LESS FOR HOMELESSNESS!
Host: Coalition on Homelessness
9. Wednesday, 1:00pm – 2:30pm, Webinar | Caring for Our Communities: Covid-19 & Systemic Change
HOW TO PARTICIPATE: This call will be hosted on Zoom, a free online platform that can be joined by phone or computer. To join, please use the instructions below to dial in by phone, or download the Zoom application and join via internet.
Option A – Join via your computer // internet connection:
— Click here to download Zoom: https://launcher.zoom.us/download
— Click here to join the call: https://zoom.us/j/4154152016
Option B – Join by phone:
— Dial +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll numbers)
— Enter the Meeting ID: 415 415 2016
Webinar: Caring for Our Communities: COVID-19 and our Health, Connections to Climate Preparedness, and Systemic Change
Wednesday, March 25, 2020
1:00 pm PST/ 4:00 pm EST USA time
Please check your own time zone to coordinate!
In light of the global COVID-19 pandemic, WECAN International is responding to requests for deeper community connection and engagement at this time.
10. Wednesday, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, Healing,Sanitation&Cleaning Supplies Distribution/Action Days
24th & Wood Sts.
POOR Magazine / Homefulness, the United Front Against Displacement & Self-Help Hunger Program– will hold a press conference and community,self-determined relief effort on March 24th at 1pm in West Oakland (need to pick a specific location on Wood st).
This effort will work to lift up poor ,indigenous &homeless peoples solutionss to our own problems and expose the incompetence of the local and federal response to the COVID-19 epidemic.
The Bay Area is home to some of the largest homeless communities in the country, yet local governments such as the city of Oakland have provided little to prevent the spread of COVID 19 among homeless people. The West Oakland Wood St Community is home to over 200 people yet they lack any porta potties or handwashing stations.
At the same time, the city of Oakland has evicted several homeless communities in recent weeks, causing the population of Wood st to swell as people are left with nowhere to go.
This situation has made the community even more vulnerable to the spread of COVID-19
We demand a moratorium on ALL evictions during the COVID-19 crisis in the city of Oakland
We demand expanded sanitation services to homeless communities
-we demand hoarded and vacant land be liberated for the use of housing and self-determined land liberation movements like Homefulness,Where do we go Berkeley and here there encampments
(Other co-sponsors SFBayview Newspaper, Anti-Police Terror project,SlefHelpHunger program, And others to come
11. Wednesday, 8:00pm – 9:00pm EDT (PDT – 5:00pm – 6:00pm) Webinar on Hybrid Warfare
Click to: Register for the webinar. (instructions)
The webinar will be hosted on Zoom and livestreamed via Facebook. Participants can join via a device with an internet connection, or dial in via telephone. Once you register, you will receive an email with the livestream link and call-in information. The webinar will be recorded and available for viewing afterwards.
This webinar will explore “hybrid warfare” – a mix of disinformation, sanctions, and unconventional tactics. War is more than bombs and bullets. We will 1) define what hybrid warfare is, and 2) discuss case studies of hybrid warfare in Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and elsewhere
Featured Webinar Guests:
· Monisha Rios: Monisha is a Gulf War Era Army Veteran and a Doctoral Candidate on Liberation Psychology. Her research focuses on the militarization of psychology in the United States. Her work is geared towards building a grassroots movement to conduct a peoples’ inquiry into the U.S.’s use of psychological warfare against the peoples of the world, including its own citizens, and to amplify the voices of those who are most impacted by U.S. wars, centering the voices of indigenous communities.
· Camilo Mejia: In 2003 Camilo became a war resister and conscientious objector when he refused to return to duty in the Iraq war. He was court-martialed, imprisoned for nine months, and subsequently recognized as a prisoner of conscience by Amnesty International. He has been closely following U.S. regime change events all over the world, including in his native Nicaragua.
Host: World Beyond War