A TIME TO HEAL
We can unite our nation by solving the crises we have in common: COVID-19, climate change, systemic racism and an economic recession.
Joe Biden must command the federal government with fierce urgency and bold creativity. Our next President must establish new executive offices, with expansive power to respond to crises faster than Mitch McConnell.
This is Biden’s FDR moment.
- ESTABLISH THE OFFICE OF CLIMATE MOBILIZATIONJoe Biden has a ten-year window to stop the worst and most permanent effects of climate change. He can avoid Mitch McConnell’s forced delays by creating a brand new executive office and senior position with wide-reaching power to combat the climate crisis — just as we mobilized to defeat the existential threat of Nazi Germany in WWII.This new position will convene and coordinate across the President’s Cabinet agencies and, ultimately, hold every federal department accountable to the national project of stopping climate change. The Office of Climate Mobilization will deeply embed this mission into all of our spending, regulations, policies, and actions.The Office of Climate Mobilization will not require Mitch McConnell’s approval. Joe Biden can and must appoint a qualified leader who is trusted by the climate and environmental justice community.
CLIMATE CABINET CRITERIA:
- No ties to fossil fuel companies, or corporate lobbyists.
- Collectively, the Cabinet should be representative of America.
- Fights with the urgency that the climate crisis demands.
- SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR More Info
- Top Pick REP. DEB HAALAND U.S. House Representative, New Mexico
- REP. RAÚL GRIJALVA U.S. House Representative, Arizona
- REP. JARED HUFFMAN U.S. House Representative, California
- SECRETARY OF STATE More Info
- Top Pick REP. BARBARA LEE U.S. House Representative, California
- REP. RO KHANNA U.S. House Representative, California
- SEN. CHRIS MURPHY Senator, Connecticut
- SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY More Info
- Top Pick SENATOR ELIZABETH WARREN Senator, Massachusetts
- SARAH BLOOM RASKIN Distinguished Fellow at Duke Law School’s Global Financial Markets Center
- ROBERT REICH Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley
- ATTORNEY GENERAL More Info
- Top Pick KEITH ELLISON Minnesota Attorney General
- LARRY KRASNER The City of Philadelphia’s District Attorney
- DANA NESSEL Michigan Attorney General
- CHAIR, COUNCIL OF ECONOMIC ADVISORS More Info
- Top Pick DARRICK HAMILTON Executive Director of the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University
- STEPHANIE KELTON Professor of Economics and Public Policy at Stony Brook University
- HEIDI SHIERHOLZ Senior Economist and Director of Policy, Economic Policy Institute
- NATIONAL ECONOMIC COUNCIL (NEC) DIRECTOR More Info
- Top Pick JOSEPH STIGLITZ Chief Economist at the Roosevelt Institute and Professor at Columbia University
- BHARAT RAMAMURTI Managing Director of the Corporate Power program at the Roosevelt Institute, Member of Congressional Oversight Commission
- MANUEL PASTOR Professor of Sociology and American Studies & Ethnicity at the University of Southern California
- SECRETARY OF LABOR More Info
- Top Pick SENATOR BERNIE SANDERS Senator, Vermont
- MARY KAY HENRY International President of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- ANDY LEVINU.S. House Representative, Michigan
- EPA ADMINISTRATOR More Info
- Top Pick DR. MUSTAFA SANTIAGO ALI Vice President of Environmental Justice, Climate, and Community Revitalization for the National Wildlife Federation
- KEVIN DE LEÓN Professor, senior analyst, and distinguished policymaker-in-residence at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs
- HEATHER MCTEER TONEY Senior Director, Moms Clean Air Force
- SECRETARY OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT More Info
- Top Pick REP. RASHIDA TLAIB U.S. House Representative, Michigan
- JUMAANE WILLIAMS New York City Public Advocate
- REP. KAREN BASS U.S. House Representative, California
- SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION More Info
- Top Pick REP. JESÚS “CHUY” GARCÍA U.S. House Representative, Illinois
- SARA NELSON International President of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
- REP. AYANNA PRESSLEY U.S. House Representative, Massachusetts
- SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE More Info
- Top Pick REP. CHELLIE PINGREE U.S. House Representative, Maine
- REP. MARCIA FUDGE U.S. House Representative, Ohio
- SEN. CORY BOOKER Senator, New Jersey
- SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES More Info
- Top Pick REP. PRAMILA JAYAPAL U.S. House Representative, Washington
- DR. ABDUL EL SAYED Chair of Southpaw Michigan
- DONALD M. BERWICK, MD, MPP President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Institute for Healthcare Improvement